Mercy Medical Center looked to the IIW team when it desired to relocate its psychiatric services ward and revive two of its old buildings. Founded in 1893 by Sisters of Mercy, it is the longest continually operating hospital in Dubuque, Iowa.
The project began with the renovation of the 1947 building. This extensive remodel included removing and replacing interior wall structures and upgrading plumbing, HVAC and electrical systems.
IIW’s structural engineers collaborated with the project architect to assist in the move of 2 West from the 1970 building to the renovated second floor of the 1947 building.
The IIW team applied a variety of design techniques to connect the new and old spaces of the medical center. First, IIW’s engineers designed a vertical expansion over an existing first floor link between the 1947 building and the Professional Arts Plaza building and connected the second floors of each building. Focused on adding natural light, the team constructed the connecting link with a structural steel superstructure.
Then, the team designed a diagonal corridor link outside the 1947 building footprint at an interior building corner. The corridor link serves as an illustration of IIW’s innovation with the intricate design of structural steel columns spanning from the second floor to the third floor and cantilevering the floor, wall and roof structure out from the existing building walls.